Nonprofit and Pro Bono
We are committed to helping nonprofit organizations grow and achieve their missions. We help guide our nonprofit clients through the complicated landscape of tax and other regulatory systems, legal compliance, and organizational challenges of being a charitable, tax-exempt organization. Nonprofits rely on BCK Law for a range of legal needs and matters including:
- Formation and incorporation
- Conflicts of interest, including disclosure policies
- Board matters, including liability, insurance, and fiduciary duties
- Mergers, acquisitions, asset transfers, and dissolutions
- Restructuring, reorganizing and joint ventures
- All types of transactional work, including contracts, leases, licenses, operating agreements, non-compete agreements and confidentiality agreements
- Land use and intersectional issues (e.g. whether activities are permitted under the terms of special agreements as well as local and state zoning and environmental laws)
- Reporting requirements and tax exemption compliance
We recognize the importance of nonprofit organizations and the vital role they play in our communities, especially at a time with diminished governmental resources for core missions. We also consider pro bono service an essential professional responsibility. As a Firm, we have decided to direct our pro bono efforts to the nonprofit sector for the foreseeable future, with a goal of helping to form 21 new nonprofit organizations by 2021, a project we’ve named “21 by 21.”
Obtaining incorporation and properly structuring basic governance as well as 501(c)(3) and state tax-exempt and charitable status filings can be a daunting task. We are here to help.
If you are interested in applying to become a part of our “21 by 21” Project, please fill out a Preliminary Application, and email your completed application to Kelly Gibson at email@example.com. We will contact you within 14 days of submitting your application to let you know if you have been accepted or if we need additional information. Once accepted, and your formation and 501(c)(3) documents are approved, we also offer a one-year follow up legal assessment of your new organization’s operations as well as ongoing legal services on a special fee structure.